Monday, September 20, 2010

Typhoon Fanapi

The Central Weather Bureau just called off the typhoon alert of Fanapi on Sunday's night (September 19). From the news report, I noticed that Fanapi made landfall near the east-coast city of Hualien, but caused a widespread and heavy devastation in the southern part of Taiwan because of torrential downpour on Sunday afternoon. Luckily, Hsinchu city, an industry-based city about 60 miles south of Taipei, is usually immune to the strike of typhoon. Except for some heavy rains for a short period of time in the early morning on Saturday, I couldn't feel the power of Fanapi on Sunday. If a typhoon hits Taiwan from the east, Hsinchu usually can be protected by the high mountain range in the middle of Taiwan. Being a resident of Hsinchu city, I should feel lucky that I usually don't have to board up windows or pile sandbags at my doors when typhoon is going to hit Taiwan.

No comments: